Normal healthy cells grow in a carefully controlled way. Pancreatic cancer develops when cells in the pancreas grow out of control, forming a tumour (a lump or growth). This can happen in the head, body or tail of the pancreas.
· Just 4% of patients survive – it has the worst survival rate of all 22 common cancers
· Pancreatic cancer is the fifth biggest cancer killer – 26 people die each day
· It receives just over 1% of overall cancer research funding
· Pancreatic cancer affects men and women equally
· For those diagnosed in time for surgery their chance of survival increases tenfold
· In 2013, 9,389 people were newly diagnosed with pancreatic cancer
· In 2013, 8,524 people died from pancreatic cancer in the UK
For more information about Pancreatic Cancer please visit: http://www.pancreaticcancer.org.uk/ or https://pancreaticcanceraction.org/ .
RELATED HEALTH LIBRARY RESOURCES
For anyone studying pancreatic cancer and its effects, the Health Library offers numerous resources related to the subject. In the lists below you’ll find our most popular items, information on materials recently added to our collection and available periodicals. To locate these items, simply go to our online catalogue or ask at the counter.
- Cancer: the misguided cell / by David M. Prescott et al. , c.1982, Sinauer Associates.
- The biology of cancer / by Robert Allan Weinberg, 2014, 2nd edition, Garland Science.
- Cancer chemotherapy: a nursing process approach / by Margaret Barton-Burke, 2001, 3rd edition, Jones and Bartlett.
- Cancer and its management / by Jeffrey Tobias Daniel Hochhauser and Robert L Souhami, 2010, 6th edition, Wiley-Blackwell.
- AJCC cancer staging handbook : from the AJCC cancer staging manual / by Stephen B Edge, 2010, 7th edition, Springer
- Journal of the National Cancer Institute, Oxford University Press. [Available as a print journal 1999 - 2013: vol 99- 105. Also available a Keele ejournal 1988 onwards & NHS ejournal 1996 onwards.]
- British journal of cancer, Nature Publishing Group [Available as a print journal 1994-2011: vol. 69-105. Also available a Keele ejournal 1999 onwards with 1 year embargo, & NHS ejournal 1947 onwards]
- Cancer, American Cancer Society [Available as a print journal 1984-2015: vol. 53-121(3). Also available a Keele ejournal 1948 onwards, & NHS ejournal 1948 - 2015]
PATIENT INFORMATION / PATIENT ADVICE
See organisations mentioned in the 'Patient Advice' tab of our 'Cancer' subject links page http://www.keele.ac.uk/healthlibrary/find/subjectlinks/cancer/#tabs-3