Self-Care Week is an annual national awareness week that focuses on establishing support for self-care across communities, families and generations. More needs to be done to support people to better look after their own health. Empowering individuals to self-care has many benefits for their short term and long term health and this is important since people are living longer. Helping people to look after their own health, and their family’s health also helps to manage demand on health services.
Self-Care Week provides people-facing organisations with a focus to hold a targeted campaign to support people to take care of their health and wellbeing and improve their understanding of doing so. Self-care messages have a greater impact when they are being repeated by many voices through different mediums at the same time, making a greater impact and reaching more of the population.
For more about Self-Care Week, please visit the Self Care Forum website: http://www.selfcareforum.org/events/self-care-week-resources/
RELATED HEALTH LIBRARY RESOURCES
For anyone studying the importance of self-care and its effects, the Health Library offers numerous resources related to the subject. In the lists below you’ll find our most popular items, information on materials recently added to our collection and available periodicals. To locate these items, simply go to our online catalogue or ask at the counter.
- Supporting people with long term conditions to self-care: a guide to developing local strategies and good practice / Department of Health, 2006, London : Department of Health.
- Supporting self-care in primary care / Ruth. Chambers, Gill Wakley and Alison Blenkinsopp, 2006, Abingdon : Radcliffe.
- Parkinson's disease: a self-care manual / R. K Griffiths and E. H Coene, 2000, Amsterdam: September Foundation.
- Your health, your way; a guide to long term conditions and self-care / Department of Health [Online], 2009, London: Dept of Health.
- Nurses' guide to teaching diabetes self-management / Rita G. Mertig, 2012, 2nd editon, New York : Springer Pub.
- Self-management of long-term health conditions : a handbook for people with chronic disease / NHS Expert Patients Programme, 2007, Boulder, Colorado,: Bull Publishing Company.
- Practical diabetes, Chichester: John Wiley. [Available as a print journal 2011: vol. 28(5) -. Also available as a Keele ejournal 2000 onwards, & NHS e-journal 2011 - 2013]
- Diabetes care, Alexandria: American Diabetes Association [Available as a print journal 1989: vol. 12 -. Also available as a Keele ejournal 2000 onwards with a 6 month embargo, & NHS ejournal 2000 onwards with 1 year embargo]
Access more journals via our Journals webpage: http://www.keele.ac.uk/healthlibrary/find/journals/
More information and additional resources about self-care and long term conditions can be found on our current awareness page: http://www.netvibes.com/healthlibrary_northstaffs#Health_News