Of course, you'd expect there to be a lot of anatomy books - here is one of our popular titles.
Monday, June 29, 2015
Maintenance will be carried out Tuesday 30th June 7:00-9:00am by Eduserv / Athens. This may affect NHS Athens access during this time.
Apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Thursday, June 25, 2015
You can find lots of help on our website to help you to get to grips with all the resources that we provide for you. Our Online Guides and Support pages provide links to:
Here you will find more help for:
** help pages ** online tutorials ** printable guides **
|Screen-shot showing the list of resources|
- BMJ Case Reports
- Joanna Briggs Institute
Monday, June 22, 2015
Thursday, June 18, 2015
If you are not sure how to start to look for articles or are struggling to locate that recommended reference, then check on our Find Articles page for help:
We also have an etutorial "Finding Articles", that explains what articles are and takes you step-by-step through the process of finding articles.
- How can I find articles for a particular subject?
- How can I find a specific article?
- Why can't I access the full-text of all the articles I find?
|Screen-shot of our Articles page|
Wednesday, June 17, 2015
Do you struggle to find reliable sources of information? Do you want to improve your literature searching skills?
- Get help finding the right information via the Internet
- Learn how to conduct a literature search and use our databases to get information quickly
- Find high-level good quality systematic reviews and evidence summaries using the Cochrane Library, Joanna Briggs Database and similar resources
- Start to develop your critical appraisal skills
- Get to grips with Refworks
All these sessions are:
- Run at the Health Library:
- Presented by qualified librarians
- Delivered to small groups
- Give you plenty of hands-on practice
Monday, June 15, 2015
Sunday, June 14, 2015
14th June – 20th June 2015
By 2035 it is estimated that the number of people living with diabetes will rise to 535 million. Over the last two years it has led to the deaths of between 1.5 and 5.1 million people world-wide. Diabetes UK is the UK’s leading diabetes charity and aims to care for, connect with and campaign on behalf of all people affected by and at risk of diabetes, reaching people with diabetes in local communities across the UK. This year Diabetes Awareness Week falls between the 14th and 20th June, its goal is to raise awareness of the disease among the population of the UK in order to prevent its increase.
For further information please see: http://www.diabetes.org.uk/http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Get_involved/Diabetes-Week/
RELATED HEALTH LIBRARY RESOURCES
For anyone interested in diabetes and the management of diabetes, the Health Library offers numerous resources related to the subject. In the lists below you’ll find various books that are available in our collection and a number of periodicals. To locate these items simply go to our online catalogue or ask at the counter.
NEW STOCK & MOST BORROWED ITEMS
- Handbook of diabetes / Rudy Bilous, Richard Donnelly, 2010, 4th ed., Wiley-Blackwell
- Oxford textbook of endocrinology and diabetes / edited by John A.H. Wass and Paul M. Stewart, 2011, 2nd ed., Oxford University Press.
- Care of people with diabetes: a manual of nursing practice / Trisha Dunning, 2014, 4th ed, Wiley.
- Psychosocial aspects of diabetes: children, adolescents and their families / edited by Deborah Christie and Clarissa Martin, 2012, Radcliffe.
- Diabetes care: a practical manual / Rowan Hillson, 2015, 2nd ed., Oxford University Press.
- Diabetes for nurses / by Lynne Jerreat with a contribution from Cathy Parker, 2003, 2nd ed. Whurr Publishers
- ABC of diabetes / by Peter J. Watkins, 2003, 5th ed. BMJ Books/.
- Practical diabetes, Chichester: John Wiley. [Available as a print journal 2011: vol. 28(5) onwards. Also available as a Keele ejournal 2000 onwards.]
- Diabetes care, Alexandria: American Diabetes Association. [Available as a print journal 1989: vol. 12 onwards. Also available as a Keele ejournal 2000 onwards and as a NHS ejournal 1995 onwards.]
- Clinical Medical Insights: Endocrinology and Diabetes, Auckland: Libertas Academica. [Available as a Keele ejournal 2009 onwards and as a NHS ejournal 2008 onwards.]
- Journal of Diabetes and Metabolic Disorders, BMC Journals. [Available as a NHS ejournal 2012 onwards.]
- Journal of Diabetes Research, Hindawi Publishing Corporation, [Available as a Keele ejournal 2013 onwards and as a NHS ejournal 2013 onwards.]
Access more journals via our Journals webpage: http://www.keele.ac.uk/healthlibrary/find/journals/
‘Diabetes’ current awareness page http://www.netvibes.com/healthlibrary_northstaffs#Diabetes_%5BNHS%5D
Thursday, June 11, 2015
We have a wide range of etutorials that can help you to get started with our many different types of resources - most only last a few minutes and you can jump to the bit you need help with.
Tuesday, June 09, 2015
Here is a selection of new titles added to the catalogue this month. Browse all the latest titles here or check out the “New Books” display in the library.
New books include:
- Legal aspects of nursing / Bridgit Dimond
- Anatomy and physiology for nurses at a glance / Ian Peate, Muralitharan Nair
- Career skills for doctors / Charalambos Panayiotou Charalambous
- Introduction to research : understanding and applying multiple strategies / Elizabeth DePoy, Laura N. Gitlin
- Pathophysiology for nurses at a glance / Muralitharan Nair, Ian Peate
- Practical medical procedures at a glance / Rachel K. Thomas
- Handbook of signs & symptoms / Andrea Ann Borchers
- Wound healing and skin integrity : principles and practice / edited by Madeleine Flanagan
- The Royal Marsden manual of clinical nursing procedures: Student edition / edited by Lisa Dougherty, Sara E. Lister and Alex West-Oram
- Psychology and sociology in nursing / Benny Goodman
You will always find a selection of new books out on display. Feel free to browse – you can borrow any of the items that are on display.
New ebooks include:
- Cracking the code [electronic resource] a quick reference guide to interpreting patient medical notes / edited by Katie Maddock.
- Essential medical statistics [electronic resource]/ By Betty Kirkwood
- Special tests in musculoskeletal examination [electronic resource] an evidence-based guide for clinicians / written by Paul Hattam, Alison Smeatham.
- The psychology of eating and drinking [electronic resource] / By Alexandra W. Logue.
Check the catalogue for the full collection.
Monday, June 08, 2015
Thursday, June 04, 2015
There is another chance for you to come along to the CEC foyer to find out more about the Library services and resources available within the NHS. We will have a display and a librarian will be on-hand to chat to on Monday 8th June 1-4 pm.
Whether you are a student preparing for your first NHS professional post, going on placement or work for our NHS partners, come along to browse our display and learn how we can support patient care and your professional development:
- NHS Athens and online resources
- NHS Outreach Service for community-based users
- Support for Evidence-based decision making
Monday, June 01, 2015
Motor Neurone Disease or MND is a progressive disease that attacks the nerves in the brain and the spinal cord. As a result and as the disease progresses it can affect the way you walk, talk, eat, drink and breathe. At the current time there is an estimated 5000 people suffering from MND in the UK, there is no known cure and it still remains a severely life shortening condition. The Motor Neurone Disease Association (MNDA) is a UK based charity that focuses on care, research and campaigning. Throughout the month of June 2015 there will be a series of events to raise awareness of MND and bring into the forefront of the public’s mind. For further information please see: http://www.mndassociation.org/
RELATED HEALTH LIBRARY RESOURCES
For anyone interested in MND and its management, the Health Library offers numerous resources related to the subject. In the lists below you’ll find various books that are available in our collection and a number of periodicals. To locate these items simply go to our online catalogue or ask at the counter.
Neurology and Motor Neurone Disease
- Oxford handbook of neurology / Hadi Manji, Seán Connolly, Neil Kitchen, Christian Lambert, Amrish Mehta, 2014, 2nd ed. Oxford University Press.
- Motor neurone disease / by Ian Robinson and Maggie Hunter, 1998, Routledge.
- Upper motor neurone syndrome and spasticity: clinical management and neurophysiology. / edited by Michael P. Barnes and Garth R. Johnson, 2001, Cambridge University Press.
- Neurology (crash course) / Mahinda Yogarajah, 2013, 4th ed., Mosby.
- Neurological physiotherapy : a problem-solving approach / edited by Susan Edwards, 2002, 2nd ed., Churchill-Livingstone.
- Archives of neurology, Chicago: American Medical Association. [Available as a print 1994-2009: vol. 46-66(2). Also available a NHS ejournal 2008 - 2010.]
- Neurology, Hagerstown: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins [Available as a print journal 1989-2011]
- Journal of Neurology, Springer. [Available as a Keele ejournal 1997 onwards and as a NHS ejournal 1999 onwards.]
- The Spine Journal, Elsavier. [Available as a Keele ejournal 2001 onwards.]
- Annals of Neurology, Mount Laurel: American Neurological Association . [Available as a Keele ejournal 2001 onwards.]
- Case reports in Neurology, Karger Publishers. [Available as a Keele ejournal 2009 onwards and as a NHS ejournal 2009 onwards.]