By 2035 it is estimated that the number of people living with diabetes will rise to 535 million. Over the last two years it has led to the deaths of between 1.5 and 5.1 million people world-wide. Diabetes UK is the UK’s leading diabetes charity and aims to care for, connect with and campaign on behalf of all people affected by and at risk of diabetes; reaching people with diabetes in local communities across the UK. This year Diabetes Awareness Week falls between the 8th and 14th June. The theme is ‘i Can’. Diabetes UK are seeking stories from individuals living with diabetes. In doing so the goal is to raise awareness of the disease among the population of the UK in order to prevent its increase.
RELATED HEALTH LIBRARY RESOURCES
For anyone interested in diabetes and the management of diabetes, the Health Library offers numerous resources related to the subject. In the lists below you’ll find various books that are available in our collection and a number of periodicals. To locate these items simply go to our online catalogue or ask at the counter.
- Handbook of diabetes / Rudy Bilous, Richard Donnelly, 2010, 4th edition.
- Oxford textbook of endocrinology and diabetes / edited by John A.H. Wass and Paul M. Stewart, 2011, 2nd edition.
- Care of people with diabetes: a manual of nursing practice / Trisha Dunning, 2014, 4th edition.
- Practical diabetes, Chichester: John Wiley. [Available as a print journal 2011: vol. 28(5) -]
- Diabetes care, Alexandria: American Diabetes Association [Available as a print journal 1989: vol. 12 -; and as a Keele an NHS accessible e-journal]
- Diabetes, Alexandria: American Diabetes Association [Available as a print journal 1989-2012; and ongoing as a Keele an NHS accessible e-journal]